Monitoring and Optimizing Servers
Chapter 1 - Installing the Network and Systems Management Option
When the VINES Network and Systems Management (VNSM) option is installed on your VINES server, it allows the server to be monitored from any DOS, Windows, or OS/2 workstation or server console in the network. Workstations use the VINES Network and Systems Management client, MNET, to monitor the server.
Note: "VNSM" refers in this manual to both the VNSM option and the Network Management option.
The ability to monitor a server from its local console is available with the basic VINES software. A local console is connected to a serial port on the server. Remote monitoring capabilities are available to you when you purchase the VNSM option software.
More detailed information about the VNSM option is described in Chapter 2.
Once installed, the VNSM option allows you to monitor native VINES servers.
Note: "VINES server" refers in this manual to servers that run native VINES. In some cases, VINES servers are referred to by the native VINES version that they run, such as VINES 8.0 servers or VINES 8.6 servers.
Software Installation on VINES Servers
If you purchased the VNSM option after you purchased your VINES server, read the rest of Chapter 1 and install the software before going on to Chapter 2. You can skip to Chapter 2 if:
You have not purchased the VNSM option. You purchased the VNSM option with your server. In this case, the option is already installed.
To use the VNSM option, the option's software must be running on your server. If you are installing the VNSM option on a server that does not have the optional software, you must add the software to the server. This section presents a summary of what you need to do.
The general steps for installing optional software are as follows:
1. Go to the server.
2. Shut down server-based services. See Banyan Server Operations Guide for details.
3. From the Operator Menu, choose System Maintenance.
4. From the System Maintenance menu, choose Manage Software Options.
5. Choose INSTALL options.
6. Choose Install OPTION CODE Options.
7. At the prompts, enter the Option Code and the Option Enabler listed on the card that came with the option.
8. Press ESC until you return to the Manage Software Options menu. All the options on the server appear, including the VNSM option. This option appears as "Remote Network Management" on the menu.
9. Press ESC until you return to the System Maintenance menu.
10. Select Return to Operator Menu.
11. Select Restart Services from the Operator Menu.
The software installation process is now complete.