VINES Mail for Macintosh User's Guide
Chapter 1 - Getting Started
Before You Begin
This chapter introduces you to the VINES Mail for Macintosh option, letting you try features that you will probably use daily. In particular, this chapter gives you a quick introduction to:
Starting VINES Mail Composing and sending a mail message Reading a mail message Replying to a mail message Accessing on-line help
To follow the instructions in this chapter, first log in to your VINES network. If you don' t know how to do this, see the section "Logging In To VINES" in Chapter 2.
Starting VINES Mail for Macintosh
To start VINES Mail, follow these steps:
1. Double-click the VINES Mail for Macintosh application icon. An introductory window appears:
2. Click anywhere in this window or press return. The Mail List window appears:
You use the Mail List window to perform most of the tasks related to sending and receiving mail messages.
Take a moment to browse through the menu bar with your mouse. Note that most of the commands are associated with the icons that appear at the top of the Mail List window.
Composing and Sending a Mail Message
To compose and send a message, follow these steps:
1. Click the Compose icon. A Subject dialog box appears over the Mail List window:
2. Enter a subject for your message in the blank subject box (for example, "Department Meeting" ) and click OK.
A Compose window appears, with the subject appearing in the title bar of the window:
3. The insertion point is located in the To field. Enter the StreetTalk address of the person you want to send a message to.
4. Click in the message text area (the lower panel). Enter your message, using standard Macintosh editing techniques.
Your message appears something like this:
5. When you finish entering your message, click the Send icon. An informational message, "Sending mail..." appears.
6. Click the close box in the upper left-hand corner of the window. The Mail List window re-appears with your message listed, preceded by a Mailbox icon. This means that your message was sent.
For a more complete description of composing and sending mail messages, go to Chapter 3.
Reading a Mail Message
Your messages are stored in Mail folders, identified by the Mail folder icon. The Mail List window lists two mail folders, General and Wastebasket, plus any mail folders you create.
When you receive a message, it is automatically placed in the General mail folder. When someone sends you mail, you see it listed in this folder.
To read a message in your General mail folder, follow these steps:
1. Click a message with your mouse to select it.
2. Click the Read icon in the row of icons in the Mail List window. The Read window appears, with the subject of the message appearing in the title bar of the window. A sample Read Mail window looks like this:
3. After you read the message, click the close box in the upper left-hand corner of the window. The Mail List window reappears.
For a more complete description of reading mail messages, turn to Chapter 4.
Replying to a Mail Message
To reply to a mail message you have open, follow these steps:
1. Click the Reply icon in a Read window. A Compose window appears with the subject of the message appearing in the title bar. Note that:
- The To field automatically contains the sender's StreetTalk address
- The From field (which is not visible) automatically contains your StreetTalk address
- The Subject field automatically contains the subject of the message you are replying to
2. Enter your reply.
3. When you finish entering your reply, click the Send icon. An informational message, "Sending mail..." appears.
4. Click the close box in the upper left-hand corner of the window. The mail message window you replied to reappears.
5. Click the close box in the upper left-hand corner. The Mail List window reappears.
For more information on replying to mail messages, turn to Chapter 4.
Accessing On-line Help
On-line help for VINES Mail is available at any time the application is active.
To access on-line help, follow these steps:
1. Select the VINES Mail Help command from the Apple" Menu. The VINES Mail Help window appears.
This window is divided into two panels. The left panel lists the help topics. The right panel displays the explanation of a selected topic:
2. Select a topic. The explanation appears in the right panel.
3. To close the VINES Mail Help window, click the close box in the upper left-hand corner.
Quitting VINES Mail
To quit the application, choose the Quit command from the File menu. If you have any messages you are composing, the application prompts you to save them.